Lisa Marie Basile is a former foster care youth and foster youth advocate. Select essays, articles and prose pieces are below.
- A Foster Child of the Opioid Epidemic (The New York Times)
- My Foster Parents Loved Me. And I Hated Them For It (Narratively)
- Why It's 100% OK To Talk To Me About My Time In Foster Care (Ravishly)
- Foster Care Youth: We Are Everyone & No One's Responsibility (Huffington Post)
- Privilege Guilt: My Fraught Path from Foster Care to Luxury High Rise (The Establishment)
- From Homeless Shelter to NY Success Story (A Woman's Thing)
- Now You Know I Am An Orphan (Entropy)
- Amy Poehler's Smart Girls — Lisa Marie basile Feature
- "She struggled with shaking off her “foster care” identity and finding herself. But, in writing she found solace, and later, purpose."
- Addiction in the Foster Care System — New England Draw
- The Connection Between Foster Care and Drug Addiction — Palm Partners Recovery Center
- Foster Youth and Drug Addiction -- The Fix
- “The narrative of the foster youth has been hijacked by this idea that foster youth are just losers. Like it’s inherent, expected. The thing is, something has been done to them. I wish more people understood the loneliness."